Eat like a Kentucky king at Saturday’s food show

McKenna Horsley

Some of the best Kentucky Proud companies will gather Saturday to show off their local delicacies in downtown.

Kentucky Proud’s Incredible Food Show is taking over Rupp Arena on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with best of the best in local food.

The first Incredible Food Show was in 2009 and featured about 60 exhibits with products and food made in Kentucky. Growing every year, Show Producer Theresa Lloyd predicts this year’s show to be the biggest yet because it will now have 150 vendors and tickets are selling out quickly.

Lloyd cultivated her love for food while she grew up in Vermont. As a food enthusiast, Lloyd wanted a way to promote Kentucky Proud products through the culinary arts.

Products labeled with the Kentucky Proud logo are either processed, grown or raised in Kentucky.

Related: Kentucky Native Café is an urban oasis

Carla Hall, co-host of ABC’s “The Chew” and former “Top Chef” competitor, will headline the event and give cooking demonstrations at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.

“(The Incredible Food Show) introduced Kentucky Proud in a trade show aspect rather than on a shelf,” Lloyd said. “The celebrity chef just gets people in the door.”

The Incredible Food Show has added Biscuit Alley, where patrons can sample biscuits made in Central Kentucky. Also new, the Lifestyle & Entertaining section provides tips and tricks from “the art of setting a table to taking the stress out of Thanksgiving,” according to the Incredible Food Show’s website.

Visitors can shop and explore the Marketplace, where vendors will promote their food and cooking items. Exhibits in the Marketplace include Shakespeare and Co., Talon Winery and Vineyards, and Crank & Boom Craft Ice Cream.

One vendor new to Incredible Food Show’s Marketplace is The Bluegrass Box, a monthly subscription service that includes handcrafted items and food products from all over Kentucky. Owned by Paul Phillips, who has attended past shows with his family, The Bluegrass Box will feature a special “October Box” during the show..

“People are creating products we have never seen,” Phillips said. “(Kentucky Proud) is paramount. It is good for those artists.”

Martine’s Pastries will return to the Marketplace, showcasing cake displays and decorations. The shop is known for wedding and birthday cakes, as well as other cakes and pastries, and owners Jim and Martine Holzman describe themselves  as “cake and pastry artists.”

“(Kentucky Proud) is synonymous with quality … it’s being proud to do something local in Kentucky,” Jim Holzman said.

Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased at the Incredible Food Show’s website. (www.incrediblefoodshow.com) General admission tickets are $20, and reserved floor seats for Hall’s cooking presentation are $40.