Biggest fashion event of year approaches

Aspen Gage

Fashion’s biggest night out is near. No, not New York Fashion Week, and not the Oscar Party. The most glamorous, sensational, creative and panache night of the year is approaching. Yes, that night — Met Gala 2016.

The Met Gala, or Ball, formally known as The Costume Institute Gala, raises money for the Costume Institute exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The exhibition runs from the night of the gala for several months until the new theme is decided and people start collecting art for the next year.

The gala is a star-studded event, chaired every year by Anna Wintour, Editor in Chief of Vogue Magazine.

A red carpet walk starts off the event, where celebrities try to base their outfits off a theme. At last year’s gala Rihanna shocked the world entering the ball wearing a luxurious, yellow, embroidered robe with an 8-foot-2-inch train, by Beijing-born designer Guo Pei.

Along with the red carpet, the guests are entertained with a first look at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s exhibit. The profit from the $25,000 tickets goes towards the artists involved with the Met and the exhibit itself.

The theme for this next year’s gala is Manus x Machina, a nod to the evolution of technology in the fashion industry.

Technology has become a big part of everyone’s world, especially for fashion. Recently, machinery has replaced work normally done by hand. Now, instead searching for the best seamstresses in Italy, many companies are relying on the minds of mechanics and engineers to give them the best products.

Aside from the art displayed in the gallery, the most exciting thing about the Met Gala for 2016 are the chairs.

This year, Taylor Swift will co-chair the event alongside British actor Idris Elba, Apple’s Chief Design Officer Jonathan Ive, and designers Karl Lagerfeld, Miuccia Prada and Nicolas Ghesquiere.

The name of the designer of Taylor’s Met dress has not been released, but if it is anything like her pink Oscar de la Renta gown in 2014, she’s sure to steal the show.

If you don’t have 25 grand to drop on tickets to the Gala, you can expect to see pictures from the red carpet on the day of the event, May 2, 2016.