Kernel adviser wins national collegiate award

By Will Wright

After 15 years of guiding and advocating for journalism students at The Kentucky Kernel, student publications adviser Chris Poore has received national recognition.

The College Media Association announced Poore will receive the Distinguished Newspaper Adviser Award at a 4-year College or University at the association’s National College Media Convention in Austin, Texas, on Oct. 29.

Poore was nominated partly for promoting college media and college media advisers, but he was nominated mainly for his passion to help journalism students succeed.

“It was a no-brainer to me that he is absolutely somebody who should be acknowledged for the work that he does,” said Sally Renaud, a journalism professor at Eastern Illinois University who nominated Poore for the award.

Before becoming the Kernel’s adviser, Poore worked as a regional editor and an intern coordinator at the Lexington Herald-Leader. Renaud said the practical experience Poore learned as a journalist helped him excel as an adviser.

“He’s a champion of (Kernel reporters). He really does love his job, and in all facets,” Renaud said. “He can help students understand news values, news judgement and help motivate them.”

Becca Clemons, former Kernel editor-in-chief and now copy editor in the editorial department at the Washington Post, said Poore helped her get internships with the Herald-Leader, the Los Angeles Times, and other newspapers during her time at the Kernel.

“Without him recommending me to the Herald-Leader I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn’t be working at the Washington Post today,” Clemons said.

The Kernel’s goal is to cover UK, but another goal is to teach students reporting and editing skills they will carry into their professional lives.

Duane Bonifer, another former Kernel editor-in-chief who is now chair of the Kernel Board, said Poore has always had a student-first mentality. Aside from landing internships for students, Poore advocates for students post-graduation.

“He’s an advocate for (Kernel workers) professionally, and because of that they tend to do very well,” Bonifer said. “He’s always their biggest champion, he’s always kept students front and center.”

With emerging digital trends and an evolving industry, Poore has been part of the national discussion on the changing face of journalism.

Renaud said it is his involvement with college media nationally that has catapulted Poore to becoming one of the best advisers in the country.

Poore pushed the Kernel to print two days a week rather than five at the beginning of the 2015 school year in an effort to improve online and print content.

“He did that because he knew how the industry was changing and evolving,” Bonifer said.

Poore said he remembered how exciting it was to see his own name in the paper, but he now gets a similar feeling when he sees a student smile after seeing their stories in the Kernel.

“I still get a huge thrill, I love that,” Poore said. “I know I’m happiest when I’m talking to students about storytelling.”