Jensen’s heroics help UK survive the Swamp

UK Women’s Soccer struggled to hang on in a contest against the No. 12 Florida Gators on their home field. The Cats go to 9-2-2 on the season and 3-1-1 in the SEC after a draw in the two overtime game. The final score was 1-1 in this defensive battle.

The Cats were lucky to be in the game in which it gave up 27 shots with 15 of those being on target. UK was able to still be in the game thanks to the heroic play of freshman goalkeeper Katelyn Jensen and her career-high 13 saves.

The leader of the Florida offense was forward Savannah Jordan, who had 12 shots by herself. She was able to beat Jensen off a header from a corner that was sent in by Christen Westphal.

UK struggled offensively in the game and finished with only six shots and five on goal. The Cats were able to start the second half strong to tie the game up in the 49th minute. A run by Michaela Dooley was capped off with a strike coming from midfielder Kaitlin Miller from just in side the box.

Unfortunately, Miller’s goal was not able to spark the Cats offense for the rest of the game. UK was only able to muster up three more shots after that one and both overtimes would go on to be scoreless.

UK will look to have a better outing next Friday as they continue SEC play against Vanderbilt.