Pumpkins are the MVP of the Holiday Season

UK students participate in the third annual pumpkin carving contest at Commons Market Wednesday evening. Photo by Scott Hannigan

When you think about the holiday season what images fill your head? Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? Jack Frost nipping at your nose? Or maybe it’s the omnipresence of the pumpkin? Think about it, what symbolizes the advent of the holiday season more vehemently than pumpkins? Perhaps the most versatile vegetable ever (fall-back corn), pumpkins are undoubtedly the MVP’s of the holiday season.

Pumpkin Pie – Undeniably the best pie ever created. Nothing says, “the holiday season is here” like a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream and scoop of vanilla ice cream. Nothing.

Pumpkin Carving – What better way to come together during the holidays than to have a pumpkin carving party? Roll up the sleeves to your tackiest holiday sweater, dig into some pumpkin guts and get in touch with your inner Michelangelo.

Pumpkin Seeds – While you’re carving your pumpkin masterpiece be sure to save the seeds. Throw them on a baking tray and roast the seeds to golden-brown perfection. After that add a little salt and you’re good to go with the perfect holiday snack.

Pumpkin Patches – Grab a friend and head to the pumpkin patch for some very necessary and seasonal Instagram photos. Spend your afternoon together picking out your perfect pumpkin and enjoying hayrides through beautiful Kentucky countryside.

Dairy Queen’s Pumpkin Pie Blizzard – All the goodness of pumpkin pie packed into a blizzard, what more needs to be said?

Pumpkin Rolls – The only thing as good as a pumpkin pie is a pumpkin roll. Pumpkin bread with a delicious creamy filling? Every time.

Pumpkin Candles – Appealing to every sense, why not fill your house with the pumpkin scent? Buy one and light it an hour before your pumpkin carving party to set the mood and fall in love with the cozy ambiance of the holiday season.

Pumpkin Photography – For those with children what better way to send holiday cheer to your friends than a holiday card with a picture of your child inside a pumpkin?

Pumpkin Spice Latte – Last, but certainly not least is the pumpkin spice latte of Starbucks. Arguably the most famous of all holiday beverages, the PSL first hit the market in 2003 and has continued its reign as seasonal beverage king ever since. Don’t let the girly stigma fool you; the PSL is delicious. I’m not going to lie; I am sipping on one as I write this. The PSL is the definitely the LeBron James of seasonal beverages.

If you haven’t yet found some pumpkin in your fall season there is no better time than now. The weather is cooler and the trees are beginning to turn. From the scent to flavor, Pumpkins dominate the holiday season and demand to be enjoyed. Autumn is upon us, go out and treat yourself to something pumpkin, you won’t regret it.