Calipari and players visit Big Blue Campout

By Josh Ellis

John Calipari and the UK basketball team met with some of the most devoted fans in the Big Blue Nation Thursday evening, handing out pizza to the campers outside of Memorial Coliseum at Tent City Live.

Thursday’s festivities wrapped up the second and final day of Tent City Live, a two-day live stream broadcast of the traditions of the Big Blue Campout outside Memorial Coliseum on the Avenue of Champions. Tent City Live, presented by Papa John’s,  aired live from 8-10 p.m. on the UK Athletics web site.

Calipari, who has participated in Big Blue Campout year after year, complimented the fans for their unconditional support despite the recent bad weather.

“It’s been raining and grey — and your still here, and it just shows you guys are a little bit unique. But it’s always good to come back and see this and know that it means a lot,” Calipari said.

The two-day event included a hot dog eating contest, a Papa John’s Pizza giveaway contest and a chance for eight fans to participate in the Academy Sports+Outdoors Kentucky basketball trivia bracket challenge.

Adding to the fandemonium was the Big Blue Glamping experience, sponsored by Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Outfitters. One lucky camper was chosen during Wednesday’s Tent City Live show, receiving a luxury tent upgrade, including a Folk Magazine & Circa Home designed interior and “tent warming” visit by Coach Calipari.

On top of all those mouth-watering incentives was another incentive that was way bigger and way better — meeting the players. Fans got the opportunity to take pictures and receive autographs from the  14 men who will be controlling their heart-rates for the next few months.

Marcus Lee, now experiencing his third Big Blue Campout, was again impressed by the tenacity of the Big Blue Nation.

“It’s great to see all y’all out here. It gets bigger and bigger each year, with more add-ons. I’ve loved watching it get bigger this year,” Lee said.

Lee isn’t the most experienced when it comes to Big Blue Campouts however — that crown goes to senior Alex Poythress. Poythress witnessed his final Big Blue Campout on Wednesday, but still had the same appreciation for the fans since he first stepped foot on campus.

“I love meeting (the fans). They come from different places in Kentucky, ya know. I just love playing corn hole with them and just getting the opportunity to meet all of them,” Poythress said.

And for those wondering if the 6-foot-8 230-pound forward has fully recovered from his injury last season, Poythress had an answer.

“I’m doing good, I’m doing full contact stuff now so that should be it,” Poythress said.

Taking a mere four hours for the Big Blue Nation to reach maximum capacity at the Big Blue Campout, it was the least the Cats could do for their beloved fans.

While the fans are eager to see this year’s team in action for the first time on October 16, Calipari had to remind Big Blue Nation to pump the breaks a bit.

“It’s gonna be a process. We’re not gonna be the finished product the first week of the season, and the first month of the season — the first two months of the season,” Calipari said. “But we have a chance with this group because what they are, who they are, how they play and what they’re about. We’ve got a chance to be special again.”