Cats’ surging offense travels to New Mexico

By Anthony Crawford

UK men’s soccer team is set to take on No. 21 New Mexico at 8 p.m. Sunday. The team looks to

carry its offensive momentum coming from the last two games — in which the Cats have a

combined nine goals — into its conference matchup with the Lobos.

UK

5-2-1

Ranking: n/a

Goals scored: 15

Goals allowed: 7

Average shots per game: 10.4

Average shots on goal: 4.4

Player to watch: Xahne Reid

The freshman midfielder had a coming out party last week, going on a tear for two goals and

three assists in three games. This outburst has jumped Reid to second in points for the team. The midfielder has played in every game so far but hasn’t contributed much until last week. Coming off the bench, Reid uses his speed to be a real catalyst for the Cats’ offense. The freshman has also seemed fearless in one-on-one situations and has been able to create multiple goal scoring opportunities by beating his man off the dribble. Look for Reid to be active on the offensive side of the ball for the Cats against New Mexico.

Preview:

The Cats have seemed to add another dimension to its game. After starting the season with the defense being the strongest part of the Cats personnel, the offense’s gears have started to spin and is producing a very high rate.

Up until last Tuesday, UK had only scored six goals. In the Cats’ next two games (Eastern Illinois and FAU), the team more than doubled that total with nine goals. The increase in goals can be attributed to some of the Cats’ underclassmen coming into their roles and starting to produce more. Two names that stick out are Reid and sophomore forward Stefan Stojkovic. The two underclassmen combined for five goals and three assists. The Cats will need all the hope it can get to upset the Lobos in the Conference USA matchup.

New Mexico

5-2-1

Ranking: 21

Goals scored: 11

Goals allowed: 8

Average shots per game: 13.3

Average shots on goal: 4.75

Player to watch: Chris Wehan

The redshirt junior has carried the Lobos’ offense thus far this season. The midfielder has scored seven of the team’s 11 goals this season and leads the team in shots taken with 29. Wehan was named First Team All-Conference USA and led the Lobos last year in goals as well. UK’s backline will have its hands full trying to stop this offensive force.

Preview:

This New Mexico team has suffered through many trials, but in its last five games the Lobos have come out shining with a 4-1-0 record. The Lobos can thank its defense for most of those wins, as it has yet to give up more than three goals in a game. And these low scoring affairs are what allows the team to always be in a game. Also, ball movement has proved to be key for the New Mexico offense with eight of its 11 goals coming off assists. Even after starting the season so successfully against ranked opponents, New Mexico started out it’s conference slate by falling flat with a loss against South Carolina. The Lobos will look to turn around its play and get back to winning against UK.