Back to a bowl: UK needs to win three of their last eight games

By Jordan Ondrof

The Cats have accomplished many milestones early in the season, but one still remains: making a bowl game.

After beating a top-25 opponent for the first time since 2010 and moving to 3-1, the possibility of making it to a bowl game for the first time since 2011 is seeming more and more realistic.

The Big Blue Nation is not the only one optimistic about the outlooks of UK’s potential post season, as ESPN has now predicted that UK will make the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl in Nashville.

In a recent article on espn.com, staff writer Sam Khan Jr. said, “Kentucky moved up and is 2-1 in conference. Mark Stoops’ Troops continue to trend up. A bowl game was a big goal for the Wildcats this season, and they’re halfway to bowl eligibility with eight games remaining. Things are looking good in Big Blue Nation.”

Winning three games in September was crucial to the Cats’ chances of making it to a bowl game. UK needs to win at least three of their next eight games going forward.

In one of the easiest remaining match-ups, the Cats face Eastern Kentucky next week. UK has a 3-0 record against the Colonials and this game should follow suit.

Vanderbilt on Nov. 14 and Charlotte on Nov. 21 are the other two games the Cats should easily win. Vanderbilt is struggling to find any momentum on offense and is the only SEC team that the Cats hold a series advantage against (42-41-4.)

Victories against EKU, Vanderbilt and Charlotte bring UK to the magic number of 6 wins, making them bowl eligible, but now is not the time to settle.

This team has shown glimpses of the potential to be an eight-win football team. With the return of Ryan Flannigan and Jason Hatcher, the dominance of UK’s defense, specifically the defensive line, makes UK a contender in every game that it plays.

UK faces Auburn on Oct. 15 and despite the Tigers 12-4 record in Lexington, the Cats can win this game. Auburn began the season as a top SEC team and has failed to meet expectations. The Tigers recently lost to Mississippi State 17-9, failing to score a touchdown for the first time in the Gus Malzahn era. The Cats defense has the ability of shutting down a struggling Auburn offense.

After four losses in a row, UK is due to beat the Louisville Cardinals. The Cats will face their in-state rivals in Lexingon for the last regular season game. The Cardinals have been struggling early in the season, starting 1-3. Louisville beat Samford for their first win of the season, avoiding their first 0-4 start since 1975. Louisville started a different quarterback in its first three games, and even though there will likely be more consistency by the end of the season, the Cats have their best opportunity in years to take down the Cards.

The Cats defense has shown that they are of bowl-quality, now it is up to quarterback Patrick Towles and the offense to show they can be consistent and win close games in order to finally make it back to a bowl.