Don’t fear the hops: Top 5 IPAs

After reading through a mountain of hate mail and vulgar complaints, mostly concerning the fact I have neglected to write about many IPAs, I’ve decided to give in and write a piece dedicated to the hoppier side of the brewing spectrum.

But first, a little history lesson. Supposedly, India pale ales were first brewed in the mid 19th century for the British Indian army. Previously, the most popular ale was the porter, a thick and dark brew. In response to complaints from the British soldiers occupying India, London’s primary brewery created a new beer with a lighter look and flavor. The rest is history.

In fifth place comes the Fresh Squeezed IPA (6.4%) from Deschutes Brewery. This beer is the go-to IPA for several of my friends. It is made with “a heavy helping of Citra and Mosaic hops,” according to Deschutes’s website. It pours dark orange with three fingers of off-white head. This ale feels straight out of the tropics, despite Deschutes’ location in central Oregon. The taste is predominantly citrus, but it ends with the classic IPA bitterness that everyone loves to hate, and hates to love. If you’re a fan of orange juice, you’ll go wild for this brew.

In fourth, we have Founders All Day IPA (4.7%). Founders is one of those breweries that can seemingly brew no wrong, so I felt pretty comfortable adding this one to the list. It’s a hazy, dull yellow color. The smell and taste smacked me in the face in the best way with massive amounts of rich pine and citrus. Its relatively low alcohol content makes this a great beer if you’re looking for a refreshing and solid IPA, but want to stay un-buzzed.

Third place belongs to Center of the Universe’s Pocahoptas (6.8%). I’m going to be honest, this beer smelled awful when I first got it. I warmed up to Pocahoptas after a few sips, though. Its pour was a deep copper with a small off-white head. What it sacrifices in complexity of taste it makes up for in diversity of character. The front of the tongue gets hit with a smooth combination of pineapple, grapefruit and orange, but then transforms into a sharp, bitter kick at the back. Its low carbonation compliments the ending bitterness wonderfully. Next time I journey back to Virginia, I’ll certainly be stopping at Center of the Universe to check out the rest of their menu.

For second place, Green Flash Brewing Company’s West Coast IPA (8.1%). This is definitely a heavyweight in the IPA class. As the bartender poured my pint, I watched in amazement as its color changed from yellow to a rich copper. It smelled refreshingly of fruit and hops, combined with an undeniable hint of cannabis. This beer hides its alcohol like a pro behind its succulent, earthy and citrusy flavor. This beer is a real shining star in the IPA hall of fame. If you have yet to convert to the pale ale state of mind, try this beer as soon as possible.

The Great Dismal IPA (7.5%) from O’Connor Brewing Company takes first place. If you read my first edition of this column at the beginning of the year, this one will sound familiar. It’s not technically an IPA (because it’s just about as dark as my soul), but it’s too delicious to leave out. Its luscious dark purple look, sweet smell, taste of licorice, chocolate and tobacco, and a refreshingly creamy aftertaste put this ale at the absolute top of my IPA list. You might not agree with all of my choices, but anything that I drink eight 6-packs of over the span of a month is worth trying, I promise you that.

And with that, I close my list. IPAs remain the most difficult beer for me to drink enthusiastically, but I’m learning. Now go grab yourself an IPA from a Lexington brewery!