Men’s soccer looks to stay undefeated at home

By Arpan Dixit

The UK men’s soccer team looks to continue its momentum heading into a matchup against the Eastern Illinois Panthers in Lexington, Tuesday at 7 p.m., at the Bell. After losing two out of its last three games, the Cats stole a late victory to close out the Marshall Thundering Herd on Saturday in Huntington. The team is hoping Saturday’s win will turn the season into the right direction.

UK

Player to watch: Napo Matsoso

The junior midfielder is a player to keep an eye on at all times, but coming off a game where he scored the only and game winning goal for UK, Matsoso looks to build off some of that momentum gathered against Marshall and carry it over against Eastern Illinois. Last game’s goal was Matsoso’s second of the season, tying him as the team’s leading scorer. Look for Matsoso to set up his teammates, but also watch out for his attacking. Coach Johan Cedergren said Napo is “one of the best players in the country.”

Preview:

After defeating Marshall to avoid three losses in UK’s last four games, the Cats scored late again to clinch a 1-0 victory. UK has scored three key goals in crunch time this season and Matsoso has been part of two of them. Soccer is without a doubt a momentum building game, so look for the Cats to continue the aggressiveness that Coach Cedergren preaches constantly to his players. The UK defense should be on its heels this game as Eastern Illinois has a very good shot on goal percentage. Earning a much needed road win against Marshall, the Cats are looking forward to coming back to Lexington and are looking to stay undefeated at the Bell this season.

Eastern Illinois

Player to watch: Tyler Oliver

The sophomore midfielder leads the team in goals with two in five games played for the Panthers. Although the Panthers possess an impressive shot on goal percentage, the team only averages six shots a game. That won’t do very well against a team like UK, which was ranked in the preseason polls. Look for Oliver and his twin brother Justin, who assisted one of Tyler’s goals this season, to raise the shot attempts in this matchup in order to keep the game from getting out of hand too early.

Preview:

All of the Panthers’ goals this season have been in games the team has won. The team hasn’t scored in the games it’s lost. If this pattern continues and UK strikes an early lead, the Panthers could be in deep trouble. Look for the Cats to attack early and often in this game to put the EIU defense on its toes. The defense must be the answer for the Panthers in order to get the win on the road. The Wildcats are undefeated this season at home, so look for the Panthers to attack early and keep possession in order to steal a pivotal road win at the Bell.