‘Shale’ displays the creative talents of UK undergrads

By Monica Sanders

In the world of academia, student’s creativity is often hidden under a pile of textbooks, but at Shale — UK’s undergraduate literary and art journal — it can shine.

Shale publishes a diversity of creative works and contains art, poetry and prose sections, as well as guest editors who work on foreign language pieces.

Shale has been around in name since Spring 2012, but it is a continuation of previous journals. The Cats Figment (2009-12) was the direct precursor to Shale. In the 2011-12 academic year, the editors of The Cats Figment decided to online Celexa reboot and rebrand the journal, deciding to name it “Shale.”

“Shale is run by a philosophy of opportunity,” Editor-in-Chief Kelsie Potter said. “We hope to provide the chance for passionate undergraduates to publish their art in written or visual form.”

According to Potter, Shale accepts work from undergraduate students at the university from any major. Potter said many contributors are science or engineering majors.

“We don’t have a particular ‘theme’ requirement when submitting to Shale. We like flomax the journal to be diverse pharmacy tech schools online and represent a variety of talents and interests,” Assistant Editor-in-Chief Nathan Petrie said. “We publish more than just stories. reliable online pharmacy We have published poetry, plays, creative nonfiction and visual art of all mediums.”

There have been seven editions of Shale, with the eighth edition to come out this semester. The deadline for submission is Oct. 5 at 5 p.m.

Petrie said students are welcome to see Shale’s progression over time if they visit the 12th floor of Patterson Office Tower. The display case contains each edition.

“The best part about working for Shale is the community. I meet so many artistic and creative people that spark a creative outlet,” eulexin Poetry Editor William Montgomery said. “I don’t get specific types of poetry often, I get so many about different topics like nature, love, and even water.”

In addition to publishing student writing and art, Shale supports organizations like Graphite, Sigma Tau Delta, the Students of English Association, the Writing Center, The Colonel, and Limestone by hosting open mics, readings, art shows and other events on and around campus.

At the end of each semester, Shale is distributed across UK’s campus and the Lexington community. Students interested in getting a copy of Shale can find copies in coffee shops, classroom buildings and Patterson Office Tower, and some of the staff announce where the journals have been distributed on their Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.

“In ten years I see Shale strong as ever. Right now we receive about 120 stories a semester, but I see in 10 years there being four to 500 people submitting their pieces,” Montgomery said. “Hopefully that will result in a summer issue of Shale.”

For more information, go to www.shalejournal.org, @ShaleJournal and www.facebook.com/ShaleJournal