Ale-8-One a popular choice for study sessions, slushies

By Mikayla Carter

Students may consider late night study sessions to be “a late one,” but there is “a late one” of a different kind floating around campus.

According to Ale-8-One’s website, founder G.L. Wainscott held one of America’s first “slogan” contests in 1926 at the Clark County Fair to find a name for his signature soda. “A Late One” was chosen because Wainscott wanted people to see it as the next big thing in soft drinks.

Ale-8-One has been bottled in Winchester, Ky. since 1926 and is the only soft drink created in Kentucky that is still in existence, the website says.

Now commonly known as “Ale 8” by consumers, the ginger and citrus-flavored soda has become a common sight at UK and throughout Lexington. Ale 8 slushies, with or without alcohol, are also popular.

“Ale 8 definitely tastes better in a bottle,” said Anita Shanker, a biology and French senior. Shanker said many other Ale 8 drinkers also prefer it in a green longneck bottle, though it can be found in cans and plastic bottles.

According to Scott Henry, UK’s dining partnership executive director, students can purchase Ale-8-One at both Wildcat Pantry locations on campus.

Ale-8-One distributes to 61 counties in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana, according to its website.

“The first time I heard about Ale-8-One was at (the Governor’s Scholars Program),” said Ryan Gaines, a computer science and computer engineering freshman.

“I purchase a six pack (of Ale-8-One) every three days or so,” Gaines said. “I think I might be developing an Ale-8-One bottle addiction.”

So whether you are going about your normal day or pulling “a late one” study session to prepare for an exam, Ale-8-One is an original Kentucky choice in soft drinks.