UK volleyball to play in the Wichita State Invitational

By Caitlin Schwartz

The now 21st-ranked UK volleyball team had a rocky finish to last weekend’s tournament in Cedar Falls, Iowa, falling short in two out of the three games.

The Cats are now 4-3 on the season as they travel to Wichita, Kan. this weekend for the Wichita State Invitational.

The Cats kick off the three-match tournament Friday, Sept. 11 facing No. 7 Illinois at 2 p.m. The Fighting Illini are 4-1 on their season, winning all four matches with a sweep, including a win over No. 23 Colorado.

UK will also take on the host Shockers (3-3) at 9 p.m. on Friday. The Shockers have received votes into the America Volleyball Coaches Association Coaches poll and a good showing in this tournament could lead to them being ranked in the top-25.

The Cats end the tournament against Northern Illinois on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. The Huskies are 3-3 on the season, with two of their losses coming to ranked opponents.

UK has a week of rest before they travel to the Wichita State Invitational. The week of rest could lead to big performances by many of the Cats as they head to Kansas.

Player to Watch: Ashley Dusek

Sophomore defensive specialist Ashley Dusek leads the Southern Conference with a staggering 5.40 digs per set and has more total digs than anyone in the SEC with 81. In four matches, Dusek has now posted 25 or more digs twice.

Dusek had an impressive performance last weekend, charting 60 digs. She is proving to be a consistent player as she has had 5 consecutive performances with 10 or more digs. Last weekend, she earned All-Tournament honors, 6.00 digs per set and added four service aces over the three matches.

Another important player for the Cats is sophomore outside hitter Darian Mack. She has increased her role this season, starting in every match and is currently second on the team in kills (45) and points (55.0.)