Ale festival a ‘smashed’ hit

On Friday evening, I had the pleasure of attending Lexington’s 7th annual Fest-Of-Ales. Attendees got a sampling glass, a program, a bottle of water and 20 tasting tickets at the beginning of the evening. Held under the Cheapside Pavilion, the celebration featured 57 breweries (including Lexington’s own Country Boy, Blue Stallion, Kentucky Ale, West Sixth and Ethereal) with about 160 beers.

I used all 20 of my tasting tickets and left the festival very pleased with the whole experience. Here are some of the festival’s standout brews:

Fallout Dust (4.6%) is a spice beer from Louisville’s Apocalypse Brew Works, and is very appropriately named by its cataclysmic brewer. The brew is hazy amber with an off-white head. My nose shed a few tears of joy as the beer’s enticing aromas of citrus and pepper floated up. The taste is fantastic, full of caramel and fresh barley, but turns quickly to spicy peppercorn in your mouth.

Next we come to West Sixth’s Mezcal Barrel Aged Tripel (8%). Mezcal, found in the native Mexican maguey plant, is the main ingredient in this brew. It poured a swirly golden, as is typical of most tripels. Mexican vibes of lime and tequila caught me by the nostrils before I tasted this beauty. This beer does a splendid job at masking the bitterness of the alcohol with its agave-like sweetness. .

The closest I’ve come to understanding the fanaticism behind Pumpkin Spice Lattes is Southern Tier’s Warlock Imperial Double Stout (10%). This monstrously delicious brew poured a smooth jet-black. I smelled the entire season of autumn in one whiff of this beer: the mystery of Halloween, the sweetness of pumpkins, the crunch of dead leaves, the chill of impending winter. The taste was a mix of chocolate and pumpkin that gave way swiftly to nutmeg and cinnamon. This stout is a blessing for latte and beer lovers alike.

The Victory Dirtwolf Double IPA (8.7%) took me by surprise in my first few sips.It poured a straw-colored golden with a slowly dissipating ivory head. The citrus aroma of this beer alone could cure a scurvy-ridden pirate. Plenty of floral and pine tones contributed to its freshness. The beer features a sharp citrusy palette at first taste, which is contrasted by soft bready malt foundation. The hops don’t hit until the finish, but they pack a punch. The cool bitterness was refreshing as the last sip trickled down my gullet.

Finally, we find ourselves at California-based North Coast Brewing’s Brother Thelonious (9.3%). For my first Belgian Style Abbey Ale, this was a real gem. It looked dark reddish, almost like a ruby. Complimented by a silky, off-white head, this brew was almost too picturesque to drink. The smell and taste of this magical drink combined Belgian yeast, figs, yams, cinnamon, toffee and a myriad of other delectable ingredients. This was probably my favorite beer of the entire night. It finished slightly dry with dark fruity tones. North Coast donates a portion of its Brother Thelonious bottle sales to the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz.

I hope this list prompts you to go out and try something new next time you’re out drinking with fellow beer pals.

Adam Pennevaria is the beer columnist of the Kentucky Kernel.