Night Market showcases the creativity of Lexington businesses

By Aayat Ali

On the first Friday of every month from April to December, hundreds of people flock to the 700 block of Bryan Avenue as it transforms into one of Central Kentucky’s most memorable nightlife experiences.

The Night Market allows many of Lexington’s own businesses, artists, breweries and musicians from all over the region to showcase their creative endeavors and contributions to the community.

From 2013 to 2014, the number of vendors almost doubled from 72 to over 125, and attendees per event nearly tripled, according to the North Limestone Community Development Corporation website.

North Limestone, formally known as an area with a high crime rate, has since squashed that reputation with the revival of businesses and the sense of community The Night Market gives the city.

“A lot of people in Lexington didn’t even know that so many cool businesses call this area home … I think the reboot of North Lime is a multitude of great minds coming together, one of those being the NoLi CDC,” said creator of the blog ‘Love, Lexington,’ Mindy Rohr.

Businesses with appearances at the Night Market include many Lexington favorites such as, West Sixth Brewing, Thirsty Hearts Design, Stella Bella Boutique and A Cup of Commonwealth with their specialty Brewshine — a cold brew coffee steeped with bourbon barrel char.

“We started up in the city around the same time as (The Night Market), so it’s been fun to watch us grow with them. It’s great to look back to a lot of ideas that all came around at the same time … [to] bridge the gap between citizens that normally wouldn’t get to know each other,” said Alexandra Canada, community relations coordinator for A Cup of Commonwealth.

This month’s Night Market is Sept. 4 at 6 p.m.