Tattoo shop inks basketball players, students

[data-ps-embed-type=slideshow] > iframe {position: absolute;top: 0;left: 0;}

_psEmbed(“http://kykernel.photoshelter.com”);

By Sophie Tapia

The steep, leopard-print stairs behind the doorway of 527 S. Upper St. leads to a place tattoo artist Kevin Hamilton describes as a second home: Bleed Blue Tattoo & Piercing.

The shop opened its doors to the public in 2008 by tattoo artist and U.S Army veteran Tommy Cornett. Despite its age, Bleed Blue has become a staple to UK’s campus and the tattoo community of Lexington.

Vintage photographs of people covered in tattoos line the waiting room hallway — a tall man with a full beard approaches, grinning. “Hi I’m Kevin,” he says with a firm handshake. Hamilton is a UK alum, and after being an apprentice at Bleed Blue he decided to stay. He believes their shop has unique quality that other shops don’t.

“It’s a less sterile environment,” he says, meaning Bleed Blue is more relaxed compared to other tattoo parlors. “When someone gets their first tattoo we want to facilitate a comfy environment.”

Hamilton says they try to not only focus on the business aspect but facilitate a relationship with their clients. He explains that this relationship translates into the best possible artwork for their clients — the artists will discuss an idea in length so they can take an idea and exceed their expectations.

“We try and blow their minds,” he says vehemently. With this kind of passion, Hamilton says no day is ever boring at Bleed Blue.

“One day a kid came in for a bet,” Hamilton remembers. “He asked me if I could tattoo a stick figure with a cape and a boner on his chest.”

He pauses and laughs: “And that’s one of the most appropriate stories.”

Hamilton says it’s not uncommon for people to ask for bizarre tattoos, saying, “I might not understand them but I’ll do the best work I can.”

He says he meets all kinds of people at the shop. According to their website, Bleed Blue is known for its celebrity cliental, including “several UK basketball players, many professional UFC fighters and top musicians — including members of Montgomery Gentry.”

Hamilton says he treats everyone that comes in with the same level of respect and professionalism despite their celebrity. He smiles, recalling an encounter with DeMarcus Cousins. Hamilton’s manager, Tommy, was giving Cousins a full sleeve when Hamilton walked in and, after he left, Cousins turned to Tommy and said “That dude’s really tall.”

Hamilton points out, however, that their clients are not only students and athletes but even nurses and doctors from the UK Medical Center. He estimates business between students and non-students come out about 50/50, noting however that they receive more foot traffic when students come back from their summer vacation.

“We stay pretty busy,” says Nicole Eveland, another artist at the shop, as she sketches a lotus flower for a walk-in customer. She has experience working at other shops and says that their are many reasons why the shop is so successful.

“The shop is very structured, so it runs like a business,” explains Eveland. “Things run smoother.”

According to Eveland, their shop one of the largest amounts of artists in the area and it adds to their success. She says the dynamic of the employees is like any other shop in her eyes.

“We have a lot of female artists,” she says, smiling. “So you know how that goes.”

Bleed Blue is located on UK’s campus, so Eveland says they attract more college-aged clients than other shops. She says, because of this, she gets to observe new tattoo trends.

“I see a lot of bird silouhettes, infinity signs and black crosses,” Eveland says. Even with a younger age bracket, people remain pretty respectful — excluding the NCAA championship games, Eveland says while laughing. “Everyone that works here enjoys themselves.”

She says she feels fortunate she is able to combine her artistic abilities and livelihood: “It’s almost too fun to be a job.”