Mark Stoops practice notes Aug. 31

UK head coach Mark Stoops talks to cornerback Fred Tiller during the second half of the University of Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt University football game at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., on Saturday, November 16, 2013. Vanderbilt won 22-6. Photo by Tessa Lighty

By Derek Terry

Game week is here for the UK football team. Head coach Mark Stoops met with the media on Monday afternoon to discuss the Cats upcoming battle with Louisiana Lafayette.

Suspensions 

Stoops announced that senior defensive tackle C.J. Johnson and sophomore right tackle Kyle Meadows are both suspended for the opener. Stoops announced earlier in the fall that junior defensive end Jason Hatcher will be suspended for the first two games.

Johnson made 10 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 12 games last season.

Meadows played in seven games and started the season opener last year against UT Martin.

Barker could play Saturday 

Backup quarterback Drew Barker could potentially see playing time on Saturday according to Stoops.

“Absolutely, I’d like to,” Stoops said. “I’d like to early when the game is on the line. But we’ll see.”

Young talent will see plenty of time

True freshmen C.J. Conrad, Chris Westry, George Asafo-Adjei and Sihiem King (kick return) will start Saturday, but Stoops said nine true freshmen and 10 redshirt freshmen will see a lot of playing time this year.

True freshmen Kengera Daniel and Josh Allen are listed at No. 2 on the depth chart at outside linebacker.

Redshirt freshman Denzil Ware will make his first career start at outside linebacker on Saturday. Barker, offensive lineman Bunchy Stallings, linebacker Nico Firios, safeties Mike Edwards and Darius West, defensive lineman Adrian Middleton and Jarrett LaRubbio are the other redshirt freshmen who are in the two-deep at their position.