Two Keys offers nightly specials for UK students of age

By Cheyenne Abrams

Two Keys Tavern, located on 333 South Limestone Avenue, has been around longer than any of its staff even knows. Popular rumors date its origins before the prohibition era.

Although it is an older business near campus, it still remains a popular hangout with the 21-and-up crowd at UK. Open daily from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 a.m., Two Keys offers nightly specials, 23 HDTVs and a jumbo screen.

Their nightly specials include Dollar Value Menu Monday, Tuesday Night Goldfish Racing and Free Band Friday, among others.

“Two Keys is basically the place to be on a Thursday night because they have a $10 all-you-can-drink special,” said Teresa Sears, a senior mining engineering major at UK. “It’s a really fun place to hang out, and it’s where a lot of people celebrate their 21st birthday.”

“We do receive a lot of traffic during games — specifically during tournament games,” said Courtney McGuffin, Two Keys general manager. “We don’t get as many fights as State Street, it’s just a lot of people out drinking in the street.”

Two Keys always has four rotating Country Boy brews on tap, and never charges a cover for entrance.

Because of the popularity of Thursday nights at Two Keys, McGuffin said customers must also bring their student ID cards in addition to their state ID’s or driver’s licenses.

“They’re not strict on most policies, but they do crack down hard on fake ID’s and underage drinking,” said Christina Griffin, a psychology and biology junior.

Goodfellas Pizzeria — a popular spot for drinkers and nondrinkers alike — serves pizza out the back. Open until 3 a.m., Goodfellas brings in a lot of business.

“We love Goodfellas,” McGuffin said. “Our location was their second opening, and they are now expanding to Cincinnati and other locations around the region.”

“(Two Keys) is definitely still a first choice for students who want to go out, grab a drink and dance the night away,” Griffin said.