UK Football notes: Freshmen make cut and defense impresses

UK head coach Mark Stoops talks to cornerback Fred Tiller during the second half of the University of Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt University football game at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., on Saturday, November 16, 2013. Vanderbilt won 22-6. Photo by Tessa Lighty

By  Joshua Huff

A relaxed Mark Stoops and defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot addressed the media on Thursday following UK’s first practice with UL Lafayette as the focus.

Here are some quick notes:

UK will turn to a group of freshmen this season to help carry the load. Those not expected to be red-shirted and see substantial playing time are: Chris Westry, Derrick Baity, C.J. Conrad, George Asafo-Adjei, Jordan Jones, Eli Brown, Sihiem King and Josh Allen.

Senior linebacker Ryan Flannigan is slowly making his way back from a shoulder injury he sustained when he collided with 330-pound fullback Jacob Hyde. Flannigan said that he’s progressing smoothly and hopes to be ready for the opener on Sept. 5. In the meanwhile, he’s still practicing with a red no-contact jersey.

Stoops is pleased with the defense and how its reacting to the offense running UL Lafayette’s plays. He was happy with the defense’s concentration and its tenacity. While facing an offensive game-plan that’s different than the same it has faced all camp is a welcome relief for the unit. “They get tired of facing each other,” Eliot said. “They get tired of defending the same plays. The offense gets tired of blocking the same defenses and so forth.”

The linebacker unit is still a cause of concern with the amount of rotation it has seen through camp. Flannigan and Josh Forrest are battling through nagging, minor injuries, but should be ready to go come game day.

Eliot is pleased with how the defense performed today. “Players were excited,” he said. “They were flying around, communicating and playing fast.” He’s also excited about the secondary. A position that has returning veterans with Stamps and Marcus McWilson.

Stoops can finally call for fans to pack the house at Commonwealth Stadium, as he feels confident that he finally has a product to display that people want to see. “I ask for their support, absolutely,” Stoops said. “We want a packed house; we’re proud of the brand new stadium; we’re proud of the work these players have done; we’re getting in a position to be as competitive as we want to be.”