Society needs to change misconceptions about homelessness

Torn clothes, sunburned skin and endless time alone; this is the description of your neighborhood homeless person. However is it too much to say that these people are kindhearted, intelligent and have just been dealt a bad hand?

At my 9 to 5 job the daily homeless man that occupies our patio has been looked down upon, asked to leave— by customers— and been given the evil eye. Recently, a change happened that tugged on my heart and really made me evaluate my opinions towards those without a roof over their head.

A customer bought $20 worth of food for this man and came back repeatedly to get him food and drinks. I thought to myself, “She has no connection to him; they are strangers to each other, yet she is buying him $20 worth of food.” Said customer is in college — I had a class with her previously. If she could spend her tightly budgeted money to help this man in need, then why do so many other people turn their cheek?

About 9 percent of those who are homeless — 49,933 — are veterans. In January 2014 there were approximately 578,424 people experiencing homelessness every night throughout the United States. Many people perceive homelessness as the result of laziness or not caring enough to work; however, homelessness can come about from many circumstances we simply can’t predict or prevent by working a little bit harder.

Like that of a death in the family, a car accident, mental illness or unforeseen expenses that have sent many to the streets for nights or even the rest of their lives. Many homeless families and individuals bounce back quickly with a little assistance, but there are roughly 216,197 homeless people who are in a family with multiple cases of homelessness.

Long-term homelessness, also known as chronic homelessness, only represents 15 percent of the homeless population. However when society thinks about those occupying the streets they tend to think of those who are chronically homeless.

As the statics show the majority of those living on the streets are there for a small and short-term stay. From children to seniors, they are all human and deserve to be treated as such — with respect.