Near-campus coffee shops offer their own unique flavor

By Jamilyn Hall

For most college students, coffee is the fuel to late nights, study sessions and Monday morning lectures. Luckily, Lexington has an extensive list of fuel stops for students, faculty and staff who are looking for caffeine to start their semester with eyes wide-open.

There are many coffee shops within walking distance from campus and there are many others located around town. These coffee shops major in the morning cup of Joe, boast pride for their community and offer many coffee options.

Within walking distance of campus:

Coffea

Coffea is a local shop on Rose Street that is just a short walk from campus. This near-campus coffee shop is directly across the street from Singletary Center for the Arts, which is convenient for those in search of coffee and espresso drinks, loose-leaf teas, pastries and food on their way to school or between classes. This shop also features game nights and other events like “Language Corner Thursday.” Coffea  is also starting a monthly newsletter in September.

Common Grounds

Common Grounds is a local coffee shop that expanded into campus this past year. The campus location is on the corner of Avenue of Champions and Lexington Avenue. The downtown location hosts open-mic nights every week and offers an alternative place to study with expanded late-night hours compared to other coffee shops in the area.

Dunkin Donuts Express

With the new addition of Dunkin Donuts Express to Kennedy’s Wildcat Den, students can now shop for their textbooks, Kentucky apparel and stop for coffee and donuts on the way out the door. Although Dunkin Donuts has limited space for studying, or sitting down in general, it provides another convenient place to get coffee and donuts near campus.

Einstein Brothers

Whether they are looking for their Chemistry class, bagels or both, students who find themselves near the Chem-Phys building can go to Einstein Brothers for coffee and something to eat.

Starbucks

The Seattle-based corporation, Starbucks, is a staple for college towns and for a coffee pick-me-up. With the new addition to W.T. Young Library, UK’s campus is now home to the largest Starbucks in Kentucky, as well as the largest Starbucks of any college campus in America. UK also has Starbucks locations in Bowman’s Den and the Kentucky Clinic on the medical side of campus.

Within close driving distance:

Cup of Commonwealth

Located behind Thoroughbred Park, Cup of Commonwealth has a large cold-brew and brewshine selection. Their pay-it-forward scheme offers a way for customers to connect with each other and helps the business create new ones as well. Patrons can buy a cup of coffee for a stranger and write requests on the coffee sleeve for whomever receives the free coffee. For example, patrons can post names or other identifiers on the wall, such as “a small cold-brew for a Journalism Senior,” and hope that they will fulfill the request.

Coffee Times Coffee House

Near the Fayette Mall, Coffee Times Coffee House has been serving coffee since 1983. All roasted on site, this coffee place has over 60 types of coffee. The shop is also filled with gifts, an array of mugs and other items.

North Lime Coffee and Donuts

North Lime Coffee and Donuts on North Limestone has a large donut selection compared to other shops in the area and provides another alternative place to host study sessions. They have also expanded to a second location on Clays Mill Road.

Whether it is for a quick cup of coffee or a long study session, Lexington has a lot of options for those who are seeking a new coffee spot.