Michigan prisons end contract with Aramark, UK’s dining partner, after series of crimes

By Sarah Brookbank

The state of Michigan will be ending its three-year contract with Aramark, UK’s private dining partner, 18 months early, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Aramark has provided food for Michigan correctional facilities since December 2013 and has had a host of problems including meal shortages, maggots in food, its employees engaging in sexual acts with prisoners, and  its employees smuggling drugs and contraband.

The Michigan Department of Corrections ordered Aramark in June to throw out potatoes and scrub down a kitchen after maggots were found in one prison’s food. This was not the first time it had happened.

According to the Detroit Free Press, “The state fined Aramark $98,000 in March 2014 for food shortages, unauthorized menu substitutions and over familiarity between kitchen workers and inmates; and another $200,000 in August 2014 after problems persisted. The state later confirmed it quietly waived the March fine soon after it was imposed, and Aramark never paid it.”

UK spokesperson Jay Blanton said he is confident in the university’s contract with Aramark. Blanton had no comment on the Michigan situation.

Blanton said the university will survey students for feedback on dining, and if they are not satisfied, there will be penalties. Student satisfaction and buying Kentucky Proud products are key to Aramark’s success at UK, Blanton said.

According to a UK website, “Key Performance Indicators … will be tracked and will include financial penalties if measures are not met in areas such as local food sourcing, customer satisfaction, nutrition and wellness, and employee numbers.”

Aramark began their partnership with UK last year. The 15 year, $250 million contract with Aramark has transformed campus dining and led to the opening of a new dining hall on the south side of campus.

The new $32 million building, The 90, will likely open this coming semester with restaurants like Aqua Sushi, la Madeleine, Taco Bell Express and a Wildcat Pantry.