Four easy, fun Fourth of July recipes

The Watermelon Stars and Stripes are an easy way to make your Independence Day spread more colorful. Photo by Jamilyn Hall

By Jamilyn Hall

Fourth of July comes with fireworks, great food, family and friends. But throughout the years it is hard not to get worn out from the same boring pecan pie and sparklers. When it comes to bringing life to your Fourth of July party, these recipes can help you have a great Independence Day.

These simple, inexpensive and fresh recipes will help even the young ones eat their fruits and be excited for something other than the fireworks. Each of the four can be made easily and no sweating is required.

Watermelon Stars and Stripes — Watermelon is a staple to any Fourth of July, but this new style will have your loved ones loving the simplicity. You’ll need watermelon slices, a star cookie cutter, skewers and grapes. Cut the watermelon into star shapes with the cookie cutter, then place on skewer and add grapes for a colorful, healthy and wand-like treat.

Red, White and Blue Velvet cupcakes — These cupcakes are easy to make and add color to the famous red velvet desert. When creating this dish you will need the following: red velvet cake mix, cream cheese icing and blueberries for garnish. Bake the cupcakes as directed on the box and allow cooling before adding the cream cheese icing and blueberry garnish.

Independence Day Sprite — This is as fun and easy as it sounds. For this Independence Day beverage all you will need are strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, an ice cube tray and Sprite. Not only can you choose an alcoholic beverage to substitute Sprite, but you can also go the healthy route and choose water instead. The night before the party add your desired fruits to an ice cube tray and fill with water. The day of just pop the frozen fruits into your desired drink for a fun twist.

Patriotic deviled eggs — Add fun to your family recipe for an easy and festive look. All you will need to do is change the color of the egg with just food coloring and water. After hard-boiling the eggs and removing the shell, place eggs in a container and cover with water. You will need 20 drops of food coloring, red and blue, per half cup of water. Next allow the eggs to sit in the food coloring mixture for two hours, then remove and dry off, before cutting them open to finish.

With these easy recipes your Fourth of July will be one to remember. Given enough red, white and blue, food and fun, your party will be a great addition to your summer.