School of Journalism Finds New Director

By: Sarah Brookbank

The  School of Journalism and Telecommunication has hired a new director.

Lars Willnat, a professor and the Director of Graduate Studies at the school of journalism at Indiana University was offered the position and accepted, according to an email sent out by journalism professor Mike Farrell last Friday, May 15.

Willnat will replace Beth Barnes, who has had the position since 2003. According to Willnat, his term as director will begin in January 2016.

The College of Communication and Information, which the journalism school is part of, is going through a transitional period in multiple ways. For one, this will be the first year with the integrated strategic communication program in a different school than the journalism and media arts program.

“I am encouraged that Dr. Willnat will lead us through the transition of recreating the School of Journalism with two units – journalism and media arts and studies – rather than three,” Farrell said. “Then we hope to expand our program with new offerings and our continuing emphasis on the new technologies.”

Farrell was the chair of the search committee for finding a new director. The committee brought in three candidates and encouraged students and staff to attend meetings with each candidate and provide feedback.

Barnes was also encouraged by Dr. Willnat after going to dinner with the candidate.

“Anyone coming in is going to bring new ideas and a new sense of enthusiasm, which I think will be great,” Barnes said. “During our conversation, I liked thoughts on new study abroad possibilities and ideas on possible professional graduate education.”

Barnes said that she liked Willnat’s enthusiasm and his support of international studies. The Kernel could not reach Dr. Willnat, as he is currently in Singapore. The Kernel was also unable to reach Dean O’Hair, as he is out of town on personal business.

“I thought each candidate had strong points.  Dr. Willnat is coming from a program with some similarities to ours, and also a program that we often compete with for out-of-state students, so I think he’ll bring that important perspective to the School,” Barnes said.