Tweeting for jobs

By Ken Parton

Finding internships and jobs can be difficult and time-consuming for many college students. To make the search easier, UK’s Gatton College of Business and Economics helps business students find opportunities through Twitter.

“Students who follow @UKGattonCareer (on Twitter) are in the know on recent, exciting internship and job postings from the student job board, Wildcat Careerlink,” said Amanda Schagane, a career coach from the Graham Office of Career Management.

Schagane supervises the office’s peer adviser team.

Graham Peer Advisers are student leaders in the Gatton College who focus on promoting and supporting the services of the Graham Office of Career Management and career-related events. Schagane said that each week new internships and jobs are posted, so there is always something fresh and exciting on the feed.

According to Schagane, more than 450 opportunities have been posted on the Gatton Center’s Twitter account since August 2014 and it has yielded nearly 230,000 views.

Schagane said that professional development articles, information on employers who visit UK’s campus, information tables and office hours are also posted on the handle.

“Students often favorite, retweet or reply to our postings with questions. Most commonly students favorite opportunities they want to access later,” Schagane said.

In regards to promotion of the handle, Schagane said “Graham peer advisors made increasing our followership a priority this year and have promoted the handle in classroom and student organization settings in the Gatton College of Business and Economics.”

Since August 2014, the handle is up 49 percent in followers, according to Schagane.

“I was scrolling through my Twitter feed and saw an internship posting for a social media intern,” said Frank Fowler, an integrated strategic communication junior who found his current internship through Twitter.

“It’s a seamless way to find opportunities because people are already using Twitter daily,” Fowler said.