Students celebrate pre-demolition

Bluegrass Photos owner Ed White photographs economics freshman Katie Mackey and psychology freshman Tabitha Jones at the Student Center Demolition Party on Wednesday, April 29, 2015. Photo by Anne Halliwell

By Anne Halliwell

Students and staff posed with construction equipment at the Student Center Demolition Party on Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Others gathered for free hot dogs and lemonade and chowed down in the Student Center patio seats and the surrounding lawn.

Economics freshman Katie Mackey and psychology freshman Tabitha Jones posed with inflatable mallets and a brick prop for a photo by Bluegrass Photo Booth.

“I don’t have that many memories here — I have some, but I’m kind of excited to build memories at the new one,” Jones said.

A little ways over, members of UK’s Sigma Pi fraternity sold donuts on Wednesday to help subsidize dues for brothers in need.

Ryan McArthur, a business management sophomore, hawked the donuts in the arch underneath the Student Center’s connecting walkway.

McArthur got 80 pastries from North Lime Coffee & Donuts. He said the proceeds would go toward a brother’s fees, as the fraternity member’s mother had fallen ill.

“We’re supporting him to allow him to be part of our brotherhood,” McArthur said.

Biology sophomore Ryan Babb said that the table had been set up since 11. The donuts, sold for a dollar apiece, were gone by about 2 p.m.

Babb later said that the table had made $154 in the few hours they were set up.

“People have been just donating and not getting donuts,” Babb said. “When they realize it’s for a good cause, it causes people to just reach out.”