Our ‘Christian nation’ is hypocritical

There is no country on earth in which I would rather live than the U.S. It’s a great place to live and is full of many interesting people and cultures. Unfortunately, it is also loaded with unbearable hypocrisy.

Because we are predominantly populated by Christian citizens, some Americans like to tout that we are a “Christian nation.”

Saying we’re a Christian nation must give many Americans a sense of moral superiority, but the truth is that we as a society act nothing like the man on which the world’s largest religion is based.

When news broke that Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was found guilty of all 30 charges that he faced, social media exploded with posts claiming we should execute Tsarnaev without hesitation.

This is hardly surprising considering the United States is in the top five countries in the world for executions, along with China, Iraq, Iran and Saudi Arabia.

We’re approaching the fourth anniversary of the death of Osama Bin Laden, the world’s most wanted terrorist, and I can remember it like it was yesterday; social media posts claiming their satisfaction with his death, as well as celebrations and parties in the days afterward celebrating his death.

Now, I’m not in any way absolving Tsarnaev or Bin Laden of what they did. They were responsible for the two biggest terror attacks in America in this century. But where is the logical connection between Americans acting in such a manner, and then attending church on Sunday as “dedicated” Christians?

Unless these people are forgetting, Jesus was the one who taught us to pray for our enemies, to turn the other cheek, to not repay violence with violence and to love everyone like you love yourself.

This man was executed in one of the most inhumane ways imaginable, and yet one of his final statements was “Forgive them father, they know not what they do.” I find it hard to believe that his first reaction to the death of anyone would be to throw a party.

American Christians love promises of forgiveness for their sins, but pacifism and non-violence is repreatedly tossed out the window.

Seriously, how is it that we claim to be a Christian nation and yet 32 out of our 50 states still practice capital punishment? How is it that we celebrate the deaths of those who have wronged our nation?

Every time a situation like the one surrounding Tsarnaev persists, it serves as a reminder that for all the claims that we are a Christian nation, we act in a way that would leave a great philosopher like Jesus wholly disappointed.