On and off the court

Karl Anthony Towns accepts the award for Best Male Performance of the Year during the Catspys at Memorial Coliseum on Monday, April 27, 2015 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Taylor Pence

By Kris Reid and Jordan Ondrof

Monday was a night of suave suits and dresses, lip-syncing performances and emotional support for an injured fellow Cat at the 13th annual CATSPY Awards.

The CATSPY Awards were created to celebrate the achievements of UK student-athletes. The awards show, which is based on ESPN’s ESPY Awards, is where the student-athletes receive accolades for their performances during the year in various categories.

Women’s Softball, women’s track and field and men’s basketball took home the Team of the Year awards, the most coveted group awards, while Raymond Dykstra, Bria Goss and Griffin Joiner took home the Mr. and Miss Wildcat awards. Past award winners include Avery Williamson and Lauren Cumbuss.

“Wow, what an honor after all of the work we all put into this,” Goss said. “If you have ever doubted yourself or if you have ever felt like you couldn’t make it or you couldn’t do it, I am a living testament that you can and you will get through everything if you just put your mind to it.”

Grace Trimble and Max Godby took home the Community Service Awards, while Women’s Swim and Dive took home the Wildcat Pride Award, given to the team that went above and beyond in supporting the other UK teams at home contests.

Softball coach Rachel Lawson, women’s track and field coach Edrick Floreal and men’s basketball coach John Calipari received the Coach of the Year awards.

“One thing that I think of often at the University of Kentucky is that we couldn’t do it without everyone here at the University of Kentucky. It is not a surprise to me that last year, we were a top-11 team in the country,” Lawson said. “All of you guys did this together. Our team could not do this without everyone in this room. I’m looking to a number of great years as a Wildcat.” Non-athletes also received awards throughout the night. Outgoing SEC Commissioner Mike Slive was presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award by Calipari, while the Bill Keightley Assist Award went to women’s basketball trainer Jenna Kennedy.

Marcus Lee did a dedication to senior gymnast Shelby Hilton, who was diagnosed with Medulloblastoma after receiving a CAT scan from a head injury during a match. Lee FaceTimed Hilton, and then got the entire crowd to flex their muscles and collectively chant “Shelby Strong.”

“I want to do something to show her that we always have her back like she’s always had ours,” Lee said.

Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart closed the event by reflecting on the ups and downs of the year.

“Even though we don’t always get our storybook ending, the good news is we do get to write down our own stories,” he said. “As you write yours at UK, remember that the time you spend here is a preview of the rest of your life, from the relationships you build to the adversity you face. Life is hard and so is this.”