Band brings modern Bluegrass

Just when you thought you’d heard all that Bluegrass music had to offer, a band like the Blind Corn Liquor Pickers comes around and throws a wrench into everything you thought you knew.

The septet from right here in Lexington takes a very modern approach to Bluegrass music, much like recent mainstream acts The Avett Brothers and Mumford & Sons. The result is a fast-paced, action-packed experience that will leave anyone within hearing distance in complete awe and in a state of bliss.

Founded in the early 2000s as a four-piece band, Blind Corn has expanded and shuffled band members numerous times in their near 15-year history of performing.

The band is comprised of Beth Walker on vocals, Joel Serdenis on mandolin and vocals, Travis Young on banjo, Frank Ward on guitar and vocals, Ben Vogelpohl on drums, Will Rush on bass, and Jeoffrey Teague on electric guitar. Thomas Usher also joins the band on occasion. Usher plays a plethora of instruments and is a Performing Arts graduate of Berea College.

Due to some of the band members living out of state, having families of their own or full-time jobs, the Blind Corn Liquor Pickers don’t play shows or even practice together as often as most bands. For most acts this would be detrimental, but according to Walker the distance between everyone only brings them closer together.

“Everyone in the band loves what we do so much,” Walker said. “The band is like family.

“When we do get together, the music is almost new to us in a way, so when we are able to play together it’s that much more meaningful.”

The Blind Corn Liquor Pickers are currently preparing for the Moonshiner’s Ball: a celebration of Kentucky music and culture. The festival is hosted by Blind Corn in Berea, Kentucky, at Homegrown Hideaways campground from May 15-17, and is in its second year.

Many other Kentucky acts will be performing at the festival including the Restless Leg String Band, Coralee and the Townies, Driftwood Gypsy, Ben Sollee, and The Baja Yetis, among others.

“We want to try to highlight Kentucky music as much as possible,” Walker said.

“We don’t feel like it gets highlighted enough. A lot of the festivals in the state don’t really highlight Kentucky music and artists.”

Walker went on to describe that even bands without a big reputation or name for themselves love what they do and work just as hard as bands that tour nationally, and deserve the same amount of respect as a result.

The Moonshiner’s Ball also features several acts from outside of Kentucky, including

Moon Hooch from New York City, Vandaveer from Washington, D.C. and Yes, Ma’am from New Orleans. Aside from music, the Moonshiner’s Ball will also feature poetry, fire dancing, yoga and the best food trucks from around the Bluegrass State.

After the Moonshiners Ball, Blind Corn’s next scheduled show in Lexington isn’t until October 8 at Thursday Night Live at Cheapside Park in the heart of downtown.

A full rundown of the acts, camping, tickets and much more concerning the Moonshiner’s Ball can be found at themoonshinersball.com.