Softball to face Georgia in last home series

By Lamar Smith

UK brings momentum into its three-game series against Georgia on Friday in the last series at home for the Cats.

The Cats are coming off a thrilling 1-0, nine-inning victory over Western Kentucky on Wednesday. Junior right-hander Kelsey Nunley threw a complete game in the win, giving up just six hits while striking out nine batters.

Nunley became UK’s leader in career wins (69) with the victory, moving her record to 12-11 on the year. UK’s only run against the Hilltoppers was unearned as junior shortstop Christian Stokes crossed home plate in the ninth, sealing the victory.

The Cats (29-17, 5-13 SEC) will face No. 20 Georgia (36-13, 11-9 SEC). UK is looking to climb back into SEC relevancy as the team currently sits 10th in the conference standings.

The Cats’ pitching staff will be in for a handful facing a strong lineup from the Bulldogs, led by freshman infielder Cortni Emanuel. Emanuel is in the top 50 in batting with a .450 average. As a team, Georgia ranks eighth in the nation in team batting with a .356 average

The Bulldogs also present a formidable pitching staff with a 2.11 overall earned run average, good for 15th in the nation. Meanwhile, UK’s pitching staff owns a 25th-best 2.41 ERA.

Nunley has a team-high 1.90 ERA, putting her near the top 50 of pitchers this season. Georgia junior Chelsea Wilkinson has also pitched well this season, owning an ERA of 2.07 on the year.

First pitch is set for 6:00 p.m. at John Cropp Stadium.