Student Center bids adieu

By Destiny Witherspoon

On Tuesday, students filed into the Small Ballroom and were met by free food, giveaways and smiling faces eager to inform the campus.

Representatives from facilities and organizations in the current Student Center informed the public about the programs’ new locations and gave out souvenirs.

Marketing senior Katie Langsdale was a representative for the Cats Den, which is moving to the bottom level of Blazer Hall next semester. She explained why the Cats Den gave free goodies away.

“All the items we are giving away today say ‘Student Center’ on them, so we can’t really use them anymore since we’ll be in a new location,” Langsdale said. “Therefore, we’re just trying to get rid of it all.”

Prospective UK student Isaiah Pritchett came to UK on a tour. While his parents were in a meeting in the Student Center, he saw a flier and decided to attend the event.

“I didn’t know anything about the Student Center being torn down, so talking with all the different tables and receiving a map will be very helpful for me next semester when I start my college career,” Pritchett said.

Interior design senior Arden Cooper represented UK dining and told students all about the new renovations in the new Student Center and Ovids Cafe in the library.

“Aqua Sushi, Fresh Food Company, Ovid’s (which is moving out of the library into a smaller location in the 90), La Madeline Country French Café, Wildcat Pantry (moving from underneath Commons dining hall) and Taco Bell Express are the new food options in the 90,” Cooper said.

While most members at the tables were enthused about the changes, not everyone was excited.

A general informant for WRFL, freshman Tara Prasad expressed her disappointment in the radio station’s new location.

“Representing WRFL, my goal is to promote and make sure people know that we’re still around,” Prasad said. “I’m not excited about the move because I feel like people already don’t know that we are located in the Student Center. When they find out, they’re super surprised, so being in the basement of Whitehall is worse and further away.”

Animal science freshman DeAnna Williams felt the event was important to have, since a lot of changes are being made to campus.

“I really hope that other students took advantage of this event so that next year, we will all know where our favorite organizations are,” Williams said. “I enjoyed the food, t-shirts, and now I’m confident I won’t get lost looking for the Center for Student Involvement.”