National Student Exchange offers more abroad opportunities

By Jared Hoskins

The National Student Exchange program is offering an information session for prospective students Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. in Miller Hall.

The National Student Exchange offers students the opportunity to continue their education for a semester or full year at one of nearly 200 schools across the country, as well as schools in Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

Students have the opportunity to pay their normal UK tuition and fees while taking courses at another school.

Students can take courses that may not be offered at UK, or take similar courses in a new atmosphere. Credits from courses taken while participating in the exchange program are transferrable, so students don’t have to worry about falling behind while they’re gone.

Dr. Tourgee Simpson, UK’s N.S.E. coordinator, encouraged students to take advantage of the opportunity.

“The exchange program will open up a variety of doors for participating students,” Simpson said. “It also looks tremendous on a resume for future employment or graduate school.”

Another benefit of the exchange program is the opportunity to take on new experiences. Christy Brady, a former NSE interim coordinator at UK, encouraged students to get out of their comfort zones.

“An NSE experience can help a student grow as a person, as well as benefit them academically,” she said.

The information session on Wednesday will cover background information for students interested in participating in the exchange program and explain what students must do in order to be eligible for an exchange.

Some of the basic requirements include a 2.7 GPA and three letters of recommendation.

Any interested student who is unable to make the meeting can schedule an advising appointment with Dr. Simpson, or email him at [email protected] for more information.