OUTsource to host annual drag show: GAYla pride celebration will be “bigger, better and gayer” than ever

By Brennan Fielder

UK OUTsource will host the eighth annual GAYla, the organization’s biggest event of the year, in the Grand Ballroom of the Student Center at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

The event will consist of a drag show highlighting student and national drag performers and a silent auction. UK will cater the event.

“This year, GAYla is going to be bigger, better and gayer,” Michael Frazier, the chairman for OUTsource, said.

In an attempt to fundraise for OUTsource and the community, the admission price for students is a canned good item, which will be donated to Big Blue Pantry. Faculty will pay five dollars.

“This is a period of celebration, to show why we love ourselves,” Frazier said. “It’s not about being LGBTQ, it’s about being holistic and celebrating yourself.”

UK’s Bridgin’ Da Gapz Cru, a Korean pop cover group, will also perform a dance routine at the event.

“We don’t know what’s more exciting, the dance routine or the costumes we are wearing,” said Kassie Davidson, an international studies junior and member of the BDG K-Pop group.

GAYla is open to everyone, not just members of LGBTQ organizations. Frazier said that 2015 will be the first year in which the event is held in the Grand Ballroom, as it sold out completely in 2014.

GAYla is the last event in Pride Week and will last until 9 p.m.

All benefits received from GAYla will go toward future programming and events.