Fine Arts to host international art performance

By Ben Wade

The College of Fine Arts will present “Audience Appeal,” a performance art conference featuring scholars, academics and renowned performance artists on Friday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. in the University of Kentucky Art Museum. The event is free and open to the public.

This is the first performance art event that the School of Art has hosted since Lex LAK Lou in 2011, which was a collaboration between artists in Louisville and Lexington. Part of what will make this event unique is the concept behind it.

“We are interested in all areas in which people are performing, so the conference will actually be a performance art project in itself,” said Rae Goodwin, assistant professor and director of student foundations at the College of Fine Arts.

The conference will consist of scholars and academics giving lectures about performance art during the daytime, followed by performances by the featured artists in the evening hours. The full schedule can be found on the UK Art Museum’s website, finearts.uky.edu/art-museum.

According to Goodwin, there will be artists from Lexington, Cincinnati, London England and Berlin, to name a few.

The conference will commence with a performance by New York artist Meghann J. Snow, who is known for her 2010 performance, “Dance Drawing/Painting Series,” her international performances, and most recently, introducing her work to children of New York in hopes of teaching them a different way to express themselves.

Also performing will be Nayeon Yang, originally from South Korea and now in the MFA program at Ohio State University, and Anya Liftig, a graduate from Yale University and Georgia State University.

Because of the international lineup, Goodwin expects that the many tourists will attend the conference. Though specific details were not provided, Goodwin said the finale will be one for the books.

“Let me tell you, we have quite the finale,” Goodwin said. “It’s going to be absolutely amazing.”