Slumping softball prepares for road match against EKU

Staff

Staff

By Lamar Smith

In the midst of an offensive drought, UK softball (27-13) looks to bounce back in its one-game trip to face Eastern Kentucky on Wednesday in Richmond, Ky.

The Cats were swept in their last series against No. 3 Florida, scoring a combined three runs in three games. Junior right-hander Kelsey Nunley took two losses against the Gators despite pitching two complete games and giving up only three total runs.

Nunley is 11-9 on the season, but has a career-low earned run average of 1.86. The team has only scored seven runs in her last five starts, recording just one win in that stretch. The ace pitcher is on pace to exceed the amount of losses she posted in each of her previous two seasons at UK.

The Cats have had a disappointing conference season, with their only SEC-series win coming against then-No. 1 LSU three weeks ago. UK has scored a combined eight runs in its last six conference games while winning only one of them (2-1 over Alabama).

UK previously faced EKU (18-22) in the home opener of the season, defeating the Colonials 2-0 in that game thanks to a late home run from junior shortstop Christian Stokes. Freshman left-hander Erin Rethlake was awarded the win after throwing three scoreless innings in relief.

Unlike their play in the SEC, the Cats have been strong against nonconference opponents this season, winning 23 of 26 games.

First pitch is set for 7:00 p.m. at Gertrude Hood Field.