Marvel’s ‘Daredevil’ a dark, gritty take on superheroes

It looks like Marvel’s “Daredevil” series may be an answer to the success of the CW’s DC hero show, “Arrow.”

The Netflix show premieres on Friday and preview articles seem focused on the “gritty” and “dark” tone.

“There aren’t going to be people flying through the sky; there are no magic hammers,” Marvel TV chief Jeph Loeb told Entertainment Weekly. “We’ve always approached this as a crime drama first, superhero show second.”

Matthew Murdock, the titular Daredevil, is played by Charlie Cox from “Boardwalk Empire” and not much else.

“Good and evil,” Cox says in the latest trailer. “Sometimes the difference between the two is a sharp line. Sometimes it’s a blur. Sometimes we have to do things outside of the law.”

Images in the trailer and ones released before the premiere indicate that, in many ways, the Netflix series may have taken cues from “Arrow:” not only will the show center around vigilante-esque justice, but apparently the line between hero and villain won’t always be easy to find.

Actress Rosario Dawson told Time that Murdock will be serving – pun absolutely intended – blind justice to the evildoers in the show.

“We turn a blind eye a lot to how justice is served and what it looks like,” Dawson said. “The lines between good guy and bad guy blur. It begs the question, what would you do?”

Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight is fairly well known for “Spartacus,” which brought a good deal of both violence and nudity to Starz for several years before it ended in 2013.

DeKnight was quick to tell Entertainment Weekly that the Marvel series wouldn’t display quite the same amount of gore, although International Business Times pointed out that without the same restrictions as television, Netflix can get away with a bit more in the way of blood and guts.

It’s set in a place called “Hell’s Kitchen,” for God’s sake.

Also according to IBT, the Daredevil series will be about as close to a standalone as Marvel gets – plenty of Easter eggs for diehard comic and movie fans, but no crossover with the big screen, a la “Arrow” and recent spinoff of “The Flash.”

Cox’s costume is also a far cry from the red, spandexy devil suit, though apparently the producers haven’t ruled out a DC-esque slow transition from a pared-down costume to one more like those in the comics.

For now, though, Cox looks more like a ninja-fetish gear lovechild than a diabolical assassin.

That’s probably a good thing.

If Netflix sticks to a pared-down version of the classic Daredevil themes, it may be able to burrow into the niche of serious (-ly depressing) superhero stories currently occupied almost completely by DC. Watching the movie giant stretch a bit could be worthwhile.