EDITORIAL: Rex Chapman a poor choice

Former Kentucky basketball star Rex Chapman will return to Turner Sports’ “TeamStream” broadcast of the Final Four game against Wisconsin.

In other words, the voice representing our school on Saturday night will be that of a man being investigated for a $14,000 theft.

In September, Chapman was arrested and accused of stealing thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from an Apple store in Scottsdale, Ariz., and selling the items at a pawn shop, according to ESPN.

Police told ESPN that Chapman faked using the store’s self-checkout and left without paying.

He allegedly stole from the store seven times and sold the items for cash.

According to the Courier-Journal, the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office in Arizona said Chapman was never formally charged with the theft.

The matter is still under review after multiple investigations, police told the Courier-Journal, so Chapman is cleared to travel to the Final Four and elsewhere.

Chapman will be joined by WKYT’s Dave Baker and former broadcaster Michael Eaves.

There are a number of former UK players and commentators who are not currently under investigation for felony charges. So why choose Chapman?

WKYT sports reporter Rob Bromley would bring gravitas and experience — both in the announcer’s seat and out of it — to the position.

Former basketball player Tony Delk was the leader of the Wildcats team that won the NCAA Tournament in 1996. His insider perspective would be valuable and his status as an old UK fan favorite would be welcome.

And color commentator Kyle Macy would be another familiar voice from the university’s telecasts. The point is, Turner Sports was not starved for choices in respect to the broadcast’s lineup.

The American legal system is partially based on the premise that the accused are innocent until proven guilty, but with the nation’s eye on our university, it would have been a wiser move to hire someone with a clean record.