UK baseball riding high after win against LSU

Outfielders Ka’ai Tom, Kyle Barrett and Storm Wilson of the Kentucky Wildcats celebrate the win during the game against the Murray State Racers at Cliff Hagan Stadium on Tuesday, March 3, 2015 in Lexington, Ky. Kentucky defeated Murray State 4-1. Photo by Michael Reaves

By Derek Terry

Despite hosting its toughest midweek test yet in Indiana (16-8) on Tuesday, the UK baseball team (18-10) will not be making any changes in how it approaches a typical game.

“The focus is to play well,” head coach Gary Henderson said. “You’re hoping to be consistent in how your guys approach it. The ability to get solid starting pitching and play defense at a level that doesn’t give the other team bases or outs and then be really competitive at the plate. That’s the blueprint of being a good baseball team.”

The Hoosiers were ranked No. 19 in the country going into last weekend but fell out of the Top 25 on Monday after being swept by Iowa.

Meanwhile, the Cats go into Tuesday’s game riding high after winning two of three against No. 1 LSU in Baton Rouge, La., the first time in school history that UK won a series against the top-ranked team on the road.

“Anytime you win a series on the road in our league, it’s got a chance to change a kid’s perspective on how good they’re capable of being,” Henderson said. “I think that when you have a new group, which we do, you have to win games on the road to truly believe that you’re a good team.”

Indiana has been one of the top programs in the Midwest the last two seasons, winning more than 40 games each year and reaching its first College World Series in 2013. It is in its first season under head coach Chris Lemonis. Former coach Tracy Smith accepted the job at Arizona State at the end of last season.

The Hoosiers are led by sophomore Craig Dedelow, who is batting .351 through 24 games. Senior outfielder Scott Donley and sophomore infielder Austin Cangelosi are hitting .312 and .307, respectively.

UK is still led by its two star outfielders Kyle Barrett and Ka’ai Tom. Barrett is hitting an impressive .387 this season after struggling to find a groove last year.

“Kyle’s doing a really good job of being aggressive,” Henderson said. “He’s done a good job of not trying to do too much and staying in the middle of the field with his approach. He’s done a nice job in centerfield and has run the bases well. He’s off to a very good start.”

First pitch is set for 4 p.m. on Tuesday at Cliff Hagan Stadium.