Fine Arts band paired with local group

The RocKats perform at the Singletary Center on Monday, March 30, 2015 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Taylor Pence

In the Singletary Center Recital Hall, the Sharpe Zohn Guitar Duo tuned their instruments on a small stage.

Just a few feet away in the Concert Hall, the RocKats prepared for the first half of their motown, rock and funk concert with the local Positive Movement Band.

The two concerts were mistakenly scheduled within a half-hour of each other, but a slightly shortened program by the guitar duo and a pushed-back start time for the joint concert accommodated those with diverse music tastes.

Classical guitarists Robert Sharpe and Andrew Zohn, a former teacher-student duo, have been touring for three years in the U.S., Europe and China.

The pair plucked their way through music by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Johann Sebastian Bach and Mauro Giuliani.

The RocKats, a class band through the Fine Arts department, began their first song, Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition,” just moments after the guitar concert ended.

The student group played rock music from earlier decades, as well as contemporary tracks like Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black.”

They were replaced after intermission by The Positive Movement Band, a funk and motown group from Lexington, then joined the older musicians for a final performance of “Play That Funky Music” by Wild Cherry.

STAFF REPORT