UK clawed through a rough-shooting first half against Notre Dame

of the Kentucky Wildcats during first half of the Elite Eig8ht of the 2015 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Quicken Loans Arena on Saturday, March 28, 2015 in Cleveland , OH. Photo by Jonathan Krueger

The Cats were sloppy to begin their Elite Eight game against Notre Dame at Quickenloans Arena Saturday.

They turned the ball over, their field goal percentage was dreadful – at one point they missed five shots in a row and nine of 11.

The Fighting Irish, however, came out swinging and most of their punches landed. They shot 46 percent from the field and made 13 field goals on eight assists. There were also 10 ties and 13 lead changes in the opening 20 minutes of play.

With all of that said, UK still managed to tie the ball game before the half.

The Cats had a chance to take a lead before the half, but up 29-28, freshman forward Trey Lyles coughed the ball up to Notre Dame’s Bonzie Colson for an and-one layup with 25 seconds remaining.

UK managed one more score before the half, however, to seize back a portion of the momentum from the Irish.