UK baseball stuns No. 1 LSU in extra innings

Kentucky junior Storm Wilson celebrates his first home run of the season with teammate Thomas Bernal during UKs game against Morehead State at Cliff Hagan Stadium on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Taylor Pence

Ka’ai Tom’s two-run double in the top of the 12th inning helped lead UK to a 5-4 upset win over No.1 LSU on Friday.

LSU tried to mount a comeback in the bottom of the 12th by scoring a run, but UK senior right-hander Spencer Jack got LSU second baseman Jared Foster to ground out to end the game.

The win marked the first time the Cats beat the Tigers on the road since 2009.

LSU scored two runs in the bottom of the second inning to get on the board first. Andrew Stevenson scored on a fielders’ choice and Jake Fraley scored on a single off the bat of Chris Sciambra.

The score remained the same until UK rallied with three runs in the top of the seventh. Thomas Bernal, Connor Heady and Kyle Barrett all singled in runs to give the Cats the lead.

The lead didn’t last long, however, as LSU tied the game in the next frame when Mark Laird scored on a throwing error by Bernal. It was the first of two errors for Bernal on the night.

UK threatened in the top of the tenth when Evan White tripled to centerfield and Tom was walked with two outs, but LSU’s Jesse Stallings got JaVon Shelby to fly out deep to left field to end the inning.

Sophomore right-hander Zack Brown got the start for the Cats and went 6.2 innings, allowing nine hits and three runs and three strikeouts. Junior right-hander Zach Strecker picked up the win after not allowing an earned run in three innings out of the bullpen. Jack secured his fourth save of the year with his work in the 12th.

Tom’s game-winning double was his only hit of the night.

First pitch for Game Two of the series is set for 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at Alex Box Stadium.

Staff Report