UK takes on Cincinnati in ‘neighborly’ Round of 32 match

Center Karl-Anthony Towns of the Kentucky Wildcats roars after a and-one play during the first half of the game against the Hampton Pirates at KFC Yum! Center on Thursday, March 19, 2015 in Louisville , Ky. Kentucky leads Hampton 41-22 at halftime. Photo by Michael Reaves

By Kevin Erpenbeck

Kentucky and Ohio might be separated by some bridges and a river, but the residing schools of UK and Cincinnati feel much closer.

After winning their respective games in Round of 64 on Thursday, UK and Cincinnati are primed to face each other in the “regional battle.” The stakes: a trip to Cleveland, Ohio, for a spot in the Sweet 16.

Despite being just 85 miles apart, the teams haven’t faced each other since the 2005 NCAA Tournament. UK won that match 69-60, which was also played in the Round of 32.

Freshman forward Karl-Anthony Towns, who led his Cats team with 21 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks in Thursday’s win over Hampton, said he gets the rivalry the two schools share, especially when it comes to the proximity of the respective fans.

“This has a little more pride on the line,” Towns said. “It’s around the hometown, and you have to protect home at all costs. Playing almost a hometown rivalry  … It’s special.”

For UK, a win would continue its undefeated season and bring the program that much closer to securing its ninth national championship. For UC, it would be just its third Sweet 16 appearance in the last 15 years.

And, of course, bragging rights for knocking off the best team in the country, which just so happens to be a regional rival.

“They have a chance to beat the No. 1 team in the country. They’re the next team on the docket,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “Should be a war.”