UK softball prepares for first SEC opponent this year

Shortstop Christian Stokes fields a ground ball during the game between the University of Kentucky softball team vs. University of Arkansas at John Cropp Stadium in Lexington, Ky.,on Saturday, April 19, 2014. Photo by Michael Reaves

By Tiffany Huffman

For the first time ever, No. 9 UK softball (13-3) will head to College Station, Texas, over the weekend to take on No. 20 Texas A&M (17-4) to begin this season’s SEC play.

The series marks just the second time the two teams have faced each other since Texas A&M’s inclusion in the SEC in 2012. The Cats won the first series 2-1 in Lexington, Ky., last year.

UK head coach Rachel Lawson said preparing for a conference opponent is much more different than preparing for any other game.

“Anytime you play a conference opponent, there is a lot of extra that gets involved,” Lawson said. “The first thing that you do is that we make sure offensively that we are working on the pitches that the other team is going to throw at us.”

The Cats were able to practice in a large facility on Tuesday where they were able to field some fly and ground balls in order to help prepare for the Aggies, Lawson added. UK was unable to practice on John Cropp Stadium due to inclement weather.

Junior infielder Christian Stokes has had the hot bat since the start of the season, hitting for a .340 average with 14 runs-batted-in, including a perfect 5-for-5 game against Long Beach State on Feb. 19. Stokes said she plans on continuing the blazing start at the plate this weekend.

“I’m just trying to keep a good head about it. Not get too excited, but not get too low either,” Stokes said. “Just continue to get better at the things I am not so good at and improve my strengths.”

Sophomore pitcher Meagan Prince said she also hopes to continue her start to the season. Prince has a 2.20 earned-run average on the mound this year and notched her starting shutout against Tennessee Tech last Saturday.

“That’s what we do all season long. We prepare for who we are going to play and we prepare for the best of the best,” Prince said.

First pitch for Friday’s game at the Aggie Softball Complex is set for 7:30 p.m.