Underclassmen should follow seniors’ example

UK point guard Jennifer O’Neil passes the ball towards forward center Alexis Jennings during the second half of the women’s basketball game against Belmont at Memorial Coliseum Friday, December 14, 2014. Photo by Marcus Dorsey

By Kevin Erpenbeck

They could have kept quiet, let their head coach handle the lack of focus and discipline on the team as most coaches do. They could have decided that they accomplished enough during their time with the program, winning an SEC championship and making two Elite Eight appearances.

They could have let the season continue to collapse, but they didn’t.

On Feb. 24, the UK Hoops senior class, or more specifically Jennifer O’Neill, called for a private meeting with head coach Matthew Mitchell to discuss what was missing from this year’s team and what needed to change. No one was defensive during the meeting nor did anyone distribute blame to others. They just knew that what was going on internally wasn’t working and wasn’t going to fix itself anytime soon.

According to Mitchell, the conversation he had with his veterans was humbling, eye-opening and one of his proudest moments as a coach.

It took extreme courage to do what the seniors did that Tuesday night, and it perfectly epitomizes what it means to be a leader. They weren’t satisfied with closing out their final regular season at UK on a low note, hoping all would be corrected come tournament time. If the issues on the team weren’t promptly fixed, there wasn’t going to be any success in the tournament.

So Mitchell hunkered down, got stricter with his players and demanded more responsibility from his team. As a result, the Cats capped off the season with two straight wins, including a stunning upset of SEC co-champion South Carolina.

The conversation the seniors administered with their coach changed the complexion of this UK Hoops team.

More importantly, though, the conversation saved their season.

With Sunday’s win over the Gamecocks, UK has all but secured a top-16 seed in the NCAA Tournament, granting the team two home games during the first and second round. Those home games are essential in the path to making a fourth straight Sweet 16 appearance for the Cats; a truly remarkable feat, even for such an already highly successful senior group.

The leaders of the team did their part in helping correct the issues at hand – no, they did more than their part, which ironically is what you would expect from leaders. They could have chosen to stand by and, as Mitchell put it, “ride out their final 30 days into the sunset.”

But they didn’t. The seniors wanted to see this season finish the way they envisioned it would back in November, carrying the team to its fullest potential.

Your move, underclassmen.

For much of the season, the Cats have struggled to get consistent production from their younger players, particularly in the post. Bigger opponents have dominated UK under the basket, both offensively and defensively. Mitchell has admitted all season that his team isn’t the largest in the country or even the conference. Combine that with the youth on those positions, and it’s easy to see why UK has had to rely on its perimeter play nearly all season.

But it was more than the inconsistent play that hindered the Cats for a stretch, as the seniors revealed to Mitchell that particular Tuesday. It was the lack of focus, discipline and poor preparation that needed to be addressed. By letting Mitchell know that he wasn’t alone in corralling the team, the seniors took that first step in capping the season off the way it deserves to be.

Now it’s about implementing those changes that were discussed, and continuing to be that newly focused and disciplined team.

That, though, will take a total team-effort.