Classes canceled on Thursday

University drive is closed due to flooding in Lexington , Ky., on Wednesday, March 4, 2015. Photo by Jonathan Krueger

UK will be closed on Thursday due to a severe winter storm. Only Plan B employees are to report to work. UK Healthcare hospitals and clinics will operate on normal schedule.

The university will be closed tomorrow just two weeks after a winter storm closed UK for nearly an entire week. The storm was preceded by heavy rainfall, which caused flooding in several areas on campus, and led to parts of University Drive and Rose Street to be temporarily closed.

“The safety of our campus community is — and always will be — our top priority along with our ability to provide critical health care to those who depend upon us,” wrote President Eli Capilouto in a campus-wide email. “It’s with those priorities in mind that we are making the decision to close Thursday so that we can utilize that time to prepare the campus for a return to regular operating hours on Friday.”

Capilouto noted that university officials will continue to monitor the weather during the night and all day Thursday, and will keep students informed on any changes to schedules.

According to a winter weather briefing from the National Weather Service, Lexington and the entire central Kentucky area are predicted to get snow accumulating eight to over 10 inches, with snowfall rates up to two inches per hour.

Central Kentucky will be under a winter storm warning until 1 p.m. Thursday, according to the briefing.

“Travel will be treacherous with some roads nearly impassable,” a public alert from the National Weather Service said. “Have an emergency kit of blankets, food, water and flashlights if you must travel.”

According the alert, wind gusts reaching up to 20 MPH along with heavy snowfall on Wednesday night could lead to downed limbs and scattered power outages.

STAFF REPORT