Students look ahead at Graduate Salute

Senior hospitality management and tourism major Alison Culp purchases graduation supplies on Tuesday, March 3, 2015 in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Hunter Mitchell

By Samantha Ponder

During Graduation Salute on Tuesday, graduating students prepared for the next phase of their lives.

Students could ask questions, purchase necessary items for graduation, and enjoy free cookies and popcorn.

“I’m ready for this new part of my life,” psychology senior Dominique LaPlante said.

Although LaPlante has plans for her future, she said she is still “kind of nervous to leave UK — it’s kind of been my home.”

LaPlante said she is excited and ready for an upcoming internship.

Tables included representatives from the Career Center, a yearbook and class ring company called “Jostens,” and the UK Bookstore.

Each table aimed to help future UK graduates order their class ring, cap and gown, and register for the commencement ceremony, said Emory Jones, an interim program coordinator with the Alumni Association.

Jones said that the Graduation Salute is like a one-stop shop for graduating students. They have an opportunity to check their credentials and purchase anything needed for commencement.

“Grad salute helped me learn new things,” biology senior Tyler Wright said. “(I’m) nervous and excited at the same time.”

Wright said he will apply to chiropractor school in South Carolina.

The UK Bookstore table had many caps and gowns ready for purchase.

“Most kids are excited to take that next step and move on to grad school or their career,” the General Merchandise Manger for the UK Bookstore, Andrea Bailey, said.

Business management and marketing senior Drew Crawford said that after graduation she is hoping to get into graduate school. Crawford explained that she just applied and is nervous about getting accepted.

Crawford is looking to do event management or event coordination as a career.

“I’m not nervous about graduation,” Crawford said. “I’m more nervous about finding a career.”