UK Hoops snaps three-game losing streak against Arkansas

UK Hoops snapped a three-game losing streak on Thursday by defeating Arkansas 56-51 at the Bud Walton Arena.

The Cats led for most of the game, with Arkansas’ only lead coming from the first basket at 2-0. But the Razorbacks made it interesting for UK, cutting a 10-plus point deficit down to single digits twice. UK led by as many as 17 in the first half.

UK survived a game-high 23 points from Arkansas forward Jessica Jackson. The 6-foot-3 sophomore went 8-for-25 on the night, including five made three pointers. She was the only Razorback to score in double figures.

UK senior forward Azia Bishop led the Cats in points with 12 on a 6-for-8 shooting night. Bishop also pulled in six rebounds, but fouled out with 1:41 remaining in the game.

Senior guards Jennifer O’Neill and Bria Goss also scored double-digit points, both finishing with 11. O’Neill led the team in boards with seven while Goss had six.

Goss came up clutch for the Cats in the closing seconds of the game. With UK leading 54-51, the 5-foot-10 guard grabbed a steal from Arkansas senior guard Calli Berna and made a layup to seal the game for the Cats.

The victory marks a school-record sixth straight year where UK has had 20 wins in a season.

UK will return home on Sunday for Senior Night, facing off against No. 2 South Carolina. The Gamecocks have not lost an SEC game this season. Tip-off is set for 5 p.m.

Staff Report