Bill Cosby show postponed

Bill Cosby speaks at the Lewis Katz's memorial service at Temple University on June 4, 2014, in Philadelphia. (Michael Bryant/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT)

By Anne Halliwell

UK announced Tuesday evening that the March 15 Bill Cosby show in the Singletary Center has been postponed.

Public relations spokeswoman Whitney Hale said there was no set date for a rescheduled performance of “Bill Cosby 77.”

“Honestly, it’s probably an indefinite postponement, like many others,” Hale said.

The university’s announcement stated that the decision was by “mutual agreement with Bill Cosby and the show’s promoter, National Artists Corporation.”

Hale said she couldn’t comment on the decision, as the promoters made the choice to postpone the performance.

Hale later added that 655 tickets to the show were sold, according to a count in early February. According to the UK release, the Singletary Center box office will begin refunding those tickets on March 2.

Cosby’s show was announced in October. At the time, Singletary Center director Michael Grice told the Kernel in a statement that “neither UK or the (Singletary) Center ‘invited’ Mr. Cosby here.”

Compassionate Kentucky campaigned against the performance with the “Cancel Cosby Coalition.” The group’s Change.org petition had received 170 signatures by 6 p.m. Tuesday.

On February 9, the group’s Facebook page asked supporters to call the National Artists Corporation and demand they cancel the Lexington show.

Nearly 30 women have accused Cosby of rape or sexual assaults dating back to the 1960s. In 2014, many of these accusations piled up and caused cancellations of similar shows.

The 77-year-old comedian has not been formally charged and continues to do standup performances.