Suicide spurs transgender discussion

By Sarah Brookbank

In a show of solidarity with the LGBT+ community, university president Eli Capilouto spoke at “‘Fix Society’ Leelah’s Law,” a panel discussion on conversion therapy and transgender issues.

The panel on Thursday night was sparked by the suicide of a young transgender woman, Leelah Alcorn, who begged the readers of her suicide note to fix society for the better.

Capilouto spoke to the crowd at Memorial Hall, saying that the community must begin to foster change. Capilouto said that society cannot be whole when its transgender members experience such a high level of discrimination.

Dr. Daniel Walinsky from the counseling psychology department discussed conversion therapy, as someone who has experienced it as a doctor, and the first-hand shame experienced as a young cisgender gay male.

Walinsky said that conversion therapy is based on shame and internalizing negativity towards the community.

“We have evidence that family acceptance is a predictor of better physical and mental health later in life,” Walinsky said.

Conversion therapy leads to anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts, according to the Human Rights Campaign, and is legal in 48 states, according to the Huffington Post.

It has been denounced by the American Psychiatric Association.

“Gender identity isn’t the problem,” Walinsky said. “It’s how to live authentically in a society with rigid gender definitions.”

Transgender women of color face more discrimination and violence than any other group in the LGBT+ community. Since the beginning of 2015, five transgender women of color have been murdered in the U.S.

Keenan McMillan is a merchandising senior and the president of Shades of Pride, which was founded less than one year ago. He said that while there are plenty of organizations on campus that focus on race or gender identity, that his organization hopes to cater to both.

“We wanted to fill a void and promote a safe space for people of color in this community,” McMillan said. “We want to educate people and provide a space to be able to relax with others you identify with.”

Alex Baxter, a biology and psychology junior and co-president of the Gay/Straight Alliance, said the event was a “step in the right direction” for the campus and LGBT community.

Co- president Joie Filippini, a sophomore in the English and gender and women’s studies programs agreed with Baxter’s estimation of transgender students’ importance.

“As far as transgender and bisexual people, there is erasure in the heterosexual and cisgender parts of the community,” Filippini said. “We need to create more visibility for the rest of the (community) … It’s life. It’s all the time for trans people and LGBT people.”

Co- vice president of the Gay/Straight Alliance Matthew Edwards cautioned that in order for progress to happen, the conversation about transgender issues has to continue.

“It was a really great conversation that is a step in the right direction,” Edwards, a biology and psychology sophomore, said. “For it to really help, we need it to continue. We need the people who were here to spread what they learned.”