Budweiser wants to take away the beer you love

Budweiser is the ISIS of beers.

Is that an extraordinary exaggeration? Maybe.

But Budweiser is the anti-beer, and I’ll prove it to you.

From the recent Super Bowl commercial to Anheuser-Busch’s attempt to buy Kentucky beer distributors, the company is leading a campaign to dismember the great American beer industry.

And that’s not an exaggeration.

Do you like the option of variety in the beer you drink? Do you like the ability to buy locally brewed beer like Country Boy’s Cougar Bait and West Sixth Brewing’s IPA on your way home?

If so, Anheuser-Busch is attempting to take that right from you.

They prefer less variety in your beers, and it’s questionable whether or not they would allow local brewers to distribute their beer if AB inBev owned the distributors.

Let’s start with the Super Bowl ad. If you haven’t seen it yet, I encourage you to put down the paper and watch it.

The basic theme in this commercial is that if you drink craft beer, you’re probably a hipster who will never get laid.

Never once is a woman shown drinking craft beer, or is even in close proximity to it, during the commercial.

And all the dudes are dressed like they’re on their way to a Modest Mouse concert (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

On the flip side, the Budweiser club is either at a bar where models work during their down time, or they’re unloading about 20 cases from their trunk, presumably for a party where models go during their down time.

“It’s brewed for drinking, not dissecting,” ran giant white font during the commercial.

Let me translate that for you: “Please, when you drink Budweiser, don’t pay attention to the taste.”

And then Budweiser has the audacity to go after a pumpkin peach ale, as if there’s anything wrong with a pumpkin peach ale.

What ever happened to, “Live and let brew?”

Now let’s talk about how Budweiser could hurt your beloved local breweries.

Anheuser-Busch, bought by a Belgian company in 2008, wants to buy a distributorship in Owensboro, Ky.

Craft beer makers are concerned that if AB does this, the company will stop distributing brands that aren’t its own.

AB already owns a distributor in Louisville, and according to the Lexington Herald-Leader, the company primarily distributes its own brands through that distributor and will do the same in Owensboro, Ky.

Co-owner of Country Boy Brewing Daniel Harrison told the Herald-Leader that if AB buys the distributorship, craft brands like his will be left out in the cold.

House Speaker Greg Stumbo, D-Prestonburg, filed House Bill 168 to stop this nonsense.

The law would prohibit an entity that brews out-of-state from also having a distributor’s license in Kentucky.

The idea is that giants like Anheuser-Busch can’t come in to Kentucky, buy all of the distributors and leave nothing to wash down the ever-disappointing taste of Budweiser.

Look, I know it’s cheap, and for some of you the taste may even be tolerable, but Budweiser is bad for beer.

From their unnecessarily aggressive advertising to their assault on Kentucky brews, Anheuser-Busch has proven itself to be a detriment to our hop-loving society.

The holy war of beer is brewing, my friends. On which side will you fall?